Saturday, June 16, 2007

week one: complete

the first week has come to a close. phew. it was definitely tiring. and next week we've got 40 more kids coming in than we had this week. should be quite an adventure...

so, how'd i do in my first week? well, the head coach said to me on thursday, "you know? you're real good. we'll give you another year or two coaching age group, and then maybe you'll be ready to coach college athletes." niice. once again, how do you respond to that? all i could muster was "thank you."

all of my kids improved their times from sunday to friday. i even had one kid drop more than 30 seconds in his 200IM. how they all swim faster is beyond me. after being away from home all week (some of them for the first time), sleeping in unfamiliar beds, swimming 6 hours a day, staying up late, and eating cap'n crunch with chocolate milk in it for every meal, i'm surprised they can even walk. let alone swim faster. my first group was a fun one, and it's interesting to me how much you can learn and get connected to these kids in just one week. it was sad to see them go.

No comments: