Wednesday, September 13, 2006

what's in a name?


ok, so i figured that seeing as this is my first official entry, i would do everyone the favor of explaining the name of the blog.

if you know me, then clearly you know that music, at least listening to it, is a huge part of my life. in the last several years, i have spent way too much money on cd's, which, for some reason, after abandoning purchasing them for several years (i think it had a lot to do with napster), i've found that i really prefer actually owning the cd and the jewel case. i can't really explain it, but i digress -

so, i'm a huge van morrison fan. i own a lot (almost 30, now) van cd's. i even paid $250, face value, this summer for floor seats to see him play. anyway, although i don't have a favorite van morrison song, or any favorite song for that matter, i really love the message in van's song, "cleaning windows." so, read the lyrics below, and you'll know that i really relate to them.

and, once again, if you know me, i don't think you would argue.

"What's my line?
I'm happy cleaning windows
Take my time
I'll see you when my love grows
Baby don't let it slide
I'm a working man in my prime
Cleaning windows (number a hundred and thirty-six)"

the link is from the van morrison website which is definitely worth checking out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why we are going to be rich (AND CONTENT) installing audio systems for all the audiophiles out there.

Anonymous said...

I would like to suggest that you change the title of your blog Doug. It's not that I have a problem with Van Morrison, Im the one who introduced you to him after all, and besides Van is "the man." Rather I suggest you change it to another Van Morrison song which I think is much more suitable. The song that I suggest is Wonderful Remark, not only is the title fitting considering this is a blog, but the lyrics are more suitable given Dougs history over the last several years.

"How can we listen to you
When we know your talk is cheap?
How can we ever question
Why we give more and you keep?
How can your empty laughter
Fill a room like ours with joy
When you're only playing with us
Like a child does with a toy?
How can we ever feel the freedom
Or the flame lit by the spark
How can we ever come out even
When reality is stark?

That was a Wonderful Remark
I had my eyes closed in the dark - yeah, I sighed a million sighs
I told a million lies - to myself - to myself"